It's been a long time since Texas has placed a new course in Golf Digest's "America's 100 Greatest Courses" rankings. But the new rankings are out, and, finally, a new face from the Lone Star State makes the list.
Fort Worth's Colonial Country Club, of course, is in the Top 100, as it has been for as long as the magazine has done this list. Colonial is at No. 73 this year, down from No. 35 in the previous rankings.
The new course on the block is Dallas National, which entered the rankings at No. 65 with a bullet. Dallas National opened in 2002, designed by Tom Fazio.
Perhaps this signals a new awareness of Texas golf in other parts of the U.S. Golf Digest's state-by-state rankings includes a Top 25 for Texas. That list is probably more interesting for us Texans than the national list.
Here is the GD list of Top 25 Texas Courses:
1. Dallas National G.C.
2. Colonial C.C., Fort Worth
3. Whispering Pines G.C., Trinity
4. Spanish Oaks G.C., Bee Cave
5. The Club at Carlton Woods, The Woodlands
6. Briggs Ranch G.C., San Antonio
7. Champions G.C. (Cypress Creek), Houston
8. Brook Hollow C.C., Dallas
9. ShadowHawk G.C., Richmond
10. Crown Colony C.C., Lufkin
11. Royal Oaks C.C., Houston
12. The Rawls Course, Lubbock
13. The Tribute G.C.. The Colony
14. River Oaks C.C., Houston
15. Cimarron Hills C.C., Georgetown
16. The Vaquero Club, Westlake
17. Preston Trail G.C., Dallas
18. The Hills C.C. (Flintrock Falls), Austin
19. Barton Creek Resort & Spa (Fazio Foothills), Austin
20. The Club at Comanche Trace, Kerrville
21. Pine Dunes Resort & G.C., Frankston
22. Austin C.C.
23. Deerwood at the Clubs at Kingwood
24. Hill Country G.C. San Antonio
25. Barton Creek Resort & Spa (Fazio Canyons), Austin