Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Newport in Port A

A huge development called "Newport" was announced a couple years ago for Mustang Island, near Port Aransas. Highway 361 (the road visitors take from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas) would run through the development, which would be built on both the beach side of 361 and the other side.

I'm having trouble learning the status of this project, which was supposed to begin construction either late last year or this year. If any of our readers know anything about the progress - or lack of it - please post something in the comments section.

If it does get built, Newport will be in interesting golf destination to keep an eye on. Because the resort part of the development (which also is supposed to include commercial and residential components) is supposed to include an Arnold Palmer course built amidst the dunes on the beach side of the property, plus a Jack Nicklaus course built on the opposite side of Highway 361.

Those are some heavy hitters, and a beachside course would be a rarity in Texas. You'd think golfers around Texas would be in a rush to get down to Port A and check out the courses when they are built.

However, local play would probably be next to nil. I grew up in Corpus Christi, and I can tell you that golfers down there don't like to spend money. A couple of resort courses, built on difficult land by big-name design companies, are going to cost upwards of $75 each to play. Maybe even above $100. Nobody in Corpus Christi is going to pay those prices more than once.

Then there's the wisdom of building a golf course on Mustang Island. Yes, environmental impact is a concern - it's a shame that more of Texas' unspoiled barrier islands will (assuming the project is actually built) get spoiled. But the first hurricane that hits within 50 miles of Port Aransas will take care of that - at least the golf course parts of the development. Those dunes simply disappear during hurricanes.

2 comments:

  1. I've not heard anything, but the last time I was on the Island, there was nothing resembling a golf course being built. I think that died.

    By the way, If you'd care to join me some Saturday or Sunday morning at Northshore, it's my treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take you up on that, next down I'm in the neighborhood. Never played NorthShore - but I did work there for two days as a teenager. I was on the grounds crew. When my alarm went off the third morning at 5 a.m., I said "screw it" and stayed in bed!

    ReplyDelete

Please refrain from using profanity or insulting other commenters your comments. Use common sense; in other words: Play nice! Thanks.