Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Backroads Road Trip

I've had an urge for about a year now to take off on a backroads road trip, hitting all the little 9-holers and small-town semiprivate golf clubs I stumble across, staying at cheap motels that have in-the-office coffee shops and eating at each little town's Bluebonnet Cafe.

The urge struck me last year when Mrs. McDuff and I were on a road trip of a different kind. We were visiting a couple of golf resorts - one in East Texas and one in western Louisiana. I was on assignment, and my wife doesn't play golf, so our time at the resorts was brief. We'then headed to Jefferson for a few days of R&R before heading home.

It was good trip, but the drive home was long and painful. Painful because we were traveling on a lot of 2-lane highways past small-town golf courses and my clubs were rattling in the back. I felt a physical urge every time we passed a track or drove through a town that I knew had a golf course - starting with Jefferson itself, and Henderson and Jacksonville and countless other towns along the way.

I knew then that I would have to take off on my own, clubs in the back, dog-eared copy of the Texas Golf Bible on the seat beside me, on a backroads golf trip. How many small-town 9-holers could I fit into, say, a 5-day trip that led from my front door, in a big circle back around?

A lot, and it doesn't matter which direction I started in. There are more than 1,000 golf courses in Texas. Just start driving, and I'll bump into them.

That's the goal. It hasn't happened yet. But it will.

2 comments:

  1. These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...:Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jaco beach resort, best western hotel jaco beach, map jaco beach costa rica. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exclusive vietnam goft tour operator for vietnam Golf Tours, cambodia golf tours
    Special discount at 10% for all tour bookings from Feb-Sept 2009!
    http://www.welcomevietnamgolf.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please refrain from using profanity or insulting other commenters your comments. Use common sense; in other words: Play nice! Thanks.