The Southern Texas PGA will have its annual meeting in San Antonio in a couple weeks, and the section will be handing out a boatload of awards for 2005.
The big ones are the sectionwide awards:
- Professional of the Year: This year, it's Glenn Lee, director of golf at The Hills of Lakeway in Austin.
- Harvey Penick Teacher of the Year: Jim Hardy, who designs courses with Peter Jacobsen but also is one of the most highly regarded instructors in America. Hardy released a very highly regarded book this year called The Plane Truth for Golfers.
- Dick Forester Quarter Century Award: Ron Coville, head pro at Walden Golf Club in Montgomery
- Junior Golf Leader: Steve Hammond, director of golf at Austin’s Jimmy Clay/Roy Kizer Golf Complex
- Horton Smith Award: Cary Collins, San Antonio
- Bill Strausbaugh Award: David Findlay, teaching professional at Humble’s Redstone Golf Club
- Merchandisers of the Year: Miki Goodger, head golf professional at South Padre Island Golf Club in Laguna Vista (Resort Facility); Doug DeSive, head golf professional at Corpus Christi Country Club (Private Facility); and Jeff Strong, head golf professional at Mont Belvieu’s Eagle Pointe Golf Club (Public Facility)
- Assistant Golf Professional of the Year: Matt Trevino, The Club at Sonterra in San Antonio
- Amateur of the Year: Ron Kilby, McAllen
- Junior Golfers of the Year: Eric Durbin, Houston, and Ginny Brown, Austin
- Media/Public Relations Award: Harry Phillips, Houston
- Player of the Year: Chip Craig, teaching professional at The Deerwood Club in Kingwood
In addition, the three chapters within the STPGA also name their own slate of award winners. For the complete rundown, including the chapter awards plus more information about the section awards, read the full story here.