In the news:
- In his blog at the Austin American-Statesman Web site, Kevin Robbins reports that the UT Golf Club in Steiner Ranch is due for some changes:
Work has begun to lengthen the University of Texas Golf Club, soften some of its slopes, add some trees to its edges and renovate its bunkers.
The 7,154-yard course, designed three years ago by Bechtol-Russell Golf, will measure more than 7,425 yards when the work is complete. The club hopes to have the $1-million improvement project done by August.
“We’re just shining up a proud warrior,” said Roy Bechtol, who designed the course with his partner, Randy Russell.
- The San Antonio Express-News' annual golf guide was out over the weekend. The newspaper ranked courses around the Alamo City and around the state. Of the broadest interest is the ranking of the top public courses in the state:
1. Pine Dunes, Frankston
2. Horseshoe Bay - Ram Rock, Marble Falls
3. Cypresswood - Traditions, Spring
4. Pecan Valley, San Antonio
5. Tribute Golf Club, The Colony
6. Barton Creek - Fazio Foothills, Austin
7. Memorial Park, Houston
8. Texas Star, Euless
9. Crown Colony, Lufkin
10. (tie) Cowboys Golf Club, Grapevine, and Waterwood National, Huntsville
One oddity in these rankings is that the newspaper's local panel rated Pecan Valley behind two other courses in San Antonio, while the statewide panel rated Pecan Valley No. 4 in the entire state.