Thursday, May 22, 2008

Fort Worth Family Gets Visit from Furyk

(Photo by Ron T. Ennis/Fort Worth Star-Telegram)


As you can see in the photo above, the Marlow family of Fort Worth really likes Jim Furyk. Last year they had a similar sign handing off their house, and since their house is very close to Colonial Country Club, Furyk noticed it as he went to the course each day during Crowne Plaza Invitational week.

The Star-Telegram reports:

... the sign first appeared during last year's rain-soaked Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, where Furyk lost in a playoff to Rory Sabbatini.

Furyk noticed the sign every day during the 2007 event because the Marlows live near Colonial, along Furyk's driving route to the course.

"My family and I were flattered by it," Furyk said. "I planned on just stopping in and saying 'hello' at the end of the tournament, but the playoff pushed us back. So I kind of waved from the car as we drove by and thought I'd stop by and say 'hello' this year."


And visit the Marlow family this year Furyk did:

The front door opened Monday at Michelle Marlow's house, where a huge "We Love Furyk" banner graces the front lawn.

But the family's baby sitter seemed puzzled when the visitor announced: "I'm Jim. I'm the man on the sign."

Moments later, Michelle Marlow cleared up the confusion. But, perhaps, not in the smoothest way possible.

"I ran into the foyer and started jumping up and down, saying, 'Jim Furyk! Jim Furyk!,'" she recalled. "I think I may have embarrassed him a little bit."


And while he was there, Furyk ripped down the "Welcome back Phil" sign. Just kidding. What he actually did while there was chat a while, listen as one son played piano, and gave some golf tips to the 5-year-old.

As for the Marlows' affection for Phil Mickelson: One year during the Colonial tournament, Mickelston stopped at the Marlow boys' lemonade stand and paid for a 50-cent drink with a $100 bill. That's a $99.50 tip.

Hmmm, maybe I'll set up a lemonade stand down the block and undersell the Marlows ...

2 comments:

  1. Brian3:25 PM

    OK! I know why they like Mickelson... why do they like Furyk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's just your basic nice guy, I suppose. The family favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Please refrain from using profanity or insulting other commenters your comments. Use common sense; in other words: Play nice! Thanks.